Monday, November 15, 2010

Witches, kidnappings and skeletons, oh my!

I finally got around to reading The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare. I'm not quite sure how I managed to be an avid reader my whole life, and a children's and young adult librarian and NOT have read this book. However that happened, it is remedied now. First, I would have lasted about 10 minutes in any Puritan colony. I don't know how Kit managed to assimilate herself into this life so different from her own in Barbados. I'm glad she was able to create a good life in this strict environment while still staying true to herself.

Next up is Girl, Stolen: A Novel by April Henry. When Cheyenne is in the back of a car that is stolen, she has no idea who her kidnapper is, or even where he's taking her. Cheyenne is blind and has to rely on her other senses to figure out how to escape. Very exciting!

Saving the best for last.... Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy. Never have I wanted to meet a skeleton detective more. Stephanie has no idea what she's in for when she meets Skulduggery at the reading of her uncle's will. It's quite a ride. He's funny, smart and a very sharp dresser. I listened to this one and Rupert Degas does an amazing job. In fact, the whole production is amazing. Great listen for the family on a long car ride... maybe to Grandma's house for Thanksgiving???
Speaking of Thanksgiving... Here in the middle school library the students and staff have been writing what they are thankful for and posting them on the bulletin board. Our gratitudes range from food and shelter to family and friends and even for dogs and turkeys, we are certainly a lucky group of people.

OK, now I've read 21 books!!!

4 comments:

  1. Dear Ms.Mcabe,
    I can't believe you hadn't read Witch of Blackbird Pond. One of my personal faves. Loved Knucklehead as well. Laughed out loud especially at the crossing sword part. Love your blog. I need your secret since we are now in the same business. Keep up the good work!
    Mrs. Karin Casey Finnegan
    Sea Girt Elementary School (K-8) Librarian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second LISTENING to Skulduggery Pleasant. The narrator has a great voice for the story.

    Cheryl Skiles Librarian
    John Weldon Elementary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also didn't read Witch of Blackbird Pond until I was already working as a school librarian. (Being married to someone from Barbados, even though I had not yet been there when I read the novel, but have been several time since, makes me wonder even more how Kit could stand living in Puritan Connecticut! It's required reading in our middle school, and I work hard to "sell" it to students who don't think they will like it. I also loved Skulduggery Pleasant. There has to be a sequel...

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a sequel to Skulduggery Pleasant (also released as "Sceptor of the Ancients"). A few, in fact. Book 2 is called "Playing with Fire," book 3 is "The Faceless Ones," book 4 "Dark Days" and finally book 5 "Mortal Coil." I know that Rupert Degas narrates the audio on the first 3 books, not sure about the final books. But I hope he's the reader - he's awesome!

    ReplyDelete