Tuesday, December 7, 2010

True Love and Other Adventures

A few years ago I went to the Book Fest at the New York Public Library (an excellent event now held at Bank Street College) and saw Misako Rocks on a panel of graphic novelists. She told a funny story about growing up in Japan and when she first discovered her destiny. After seeing "Back to the Future" she recognized her true love and she realized that it was her fate to move to the United States and marry Michael J. Fox. She was very charming and it reminded me of similar feelings I had for Jason Bateman back in the day. Misako Rocks however turned her young love into a great graphic novel and I just watch reruns of "Silver Spoons." Anyway... for a walk down memory lane about first love, I recommend Rock and Roll Love by Misako Rocks.

Also this week I read The Kind of Friends We Used to Be by Frances O'Roark Dowell. It is the continuing story of Marilyn and Kate and how the two girls, friends since preschool, grow apart yet still love and care for each other. Kate becomes interested in music and song writing, Marilyn is on the cheerleading squad and runs for student government. While both make new friends, there is still a bond between these two seventh graders.

Indiana Jones Adventures, Vol. 1 by Philip Gelatt is a very quick version of a typical Indiana Jones movie. Indy is off on an adventure looking for priceless artifacts. There's some trickery, a beautiful woman and a few chase scenes thrown in. I'm all for graphic novel versions of popular movies and stories, but this one was a bit too short for my taste.



1 comment:

  1. Ms. McCabe,
    I love reading your reviews!! I want to get the Dowell book. I just finished FORGE by Laurie Halse Anderson, which continues the story of the slaves, Curzon and Isabel from her story, CHAINS. Here we find Curzon with the patriot troops at Valley Forge, hoping no one will guess that he's a runaway. The conditions are so brutal and yet he makes friends, becomes a valued soldier and finds Isabel, who rescued him from a prison ship in CHAINS. Great story! I can't wait for the sequel!! Kathy

    ReplyDelete